Translate

Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Crazy Quilt is Finished!

I am so excited to have this quilt finished.  It was so much fun to work on and I learned new quilting skills in the process!  The wave is once again due to pinning it on my fabulous portable quilt display rack (two office chairs) :)
I enjoyed using scraps for the quilt blocks on this quilt.  The backing is a marbled crayola blue and the binding is a marbled crayola green.  This was also the first time I tried free motion quilting on the machine.  I am so happy to have learned how to free motion quilt.
I took it slow and steady and learned a lot while quilting.  FMQ is a skill that I have been wanting to learn for a long time and thanks to this quilt feel comfortable quilting other projects.
 This is what the back looks like.  Not too bad for a very beginner quilting on the machine :)  I have used the walking foot to quilt before, but when I tried FMQ for just a moment and was horribly uncomfortable I never wanted to try it again.  Now I'm excited to do more!!!  Now to add a quilt tag to the back and off to the benefit it goes! :)

4 comments:

Little Home In The Country said...

Simply gorgeous!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Your quilting looks so great! I'm working up to trying FMQ... it's just plain intimidating to me.

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Amy, What a beautiful quilt and to think you are a novice machine quilter... you have done a tremendous job. I tend to hand quilt my quilts, maybe I will rethink and use the walking foot on my sewing machine aswell. Currently I am making a blue, white and red quilt. It's taking a bit of time as it is full of embroidery and hand applique, but I enjoy working on it as it is very therapeutic. Have a lovely weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

Unknown said...

Thank you very much to all three of you. Deb, FMQ was very intimidating and frustrating when I first tried it on a place mat and don't think I even finished it. I felt so out of control. I got on you tube and watched several video's about FMQ and decided to roll up my sleeves and give it a try :)
Daphne; My mom is a quilter and every quilt she has ever made was hand quilted. Machine quilting a quilt didn't even enter my mind until I joined a guild and that is all I saw. I had a really difficult time accepting this as "real" quilting. I'm not saying it isn't I'm just saying I had a hard time coming from my hand quilting background. I have since decided that machine vs. hand quilting depends on the project and quilt. Heirloom quilts that I make for my DD's and my DH will be hand quilted. Several small projects are hand quilted but anything given or for benefits I will machine quilt. I really enjoy hand quilting and wish I had time to hand quilt every single item I make! :)