Translate

Saturday, June 29, 2013

What's for Dinner? Chicken Tortilla Soup

I  haven't felt so calm since back in April when our schedule first started filling up with end of school activities.  This week has been an eye opening experience as to how out of control my life feels when I spend so much time away from what  I truly enjoy, being here at home.

This week ended with a monthly gathering with friends, an evening away with other mom's.  I haven't laughed so hard for a long time and it was a fantastic night.  A definite recharge for all of us that were able to attend.  We get to catch up, chit chat, and relax together.  It is a very special group and I am very thankful that we are able to spend time together enjoying each others company.

Today though tired from a busy week of catching up here at home on chores, and an evening with friends, my first priority was to make sure dinner was simmering away.  What is for dinner?  Chicken Tortilla Soup!  My friend Amy gave me the recipe a couple of years ago.  I am so thankful, it is very quick, easy, and delicious.  If you have a veggie garden then your ingredients will be a canning jar of these ingredients.  If you do not, then it will be a can usually 14 1/2 oz. in size of each ingredient. 

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 lb. chicken breast  either cubed or shredded
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of either chili beans,  or kidney beans(these should be drained)
1 can of black beans drained
2 cans rotel
1 can 8oz. tomato sauce
1 diced onion
1 pkg taco seasoning

Combine all of these ingredients together in the crock pot on low in the morning, or for a few hours on  med or high in the afternoon.  Adjust your crock pot depending on how hot it gets and how long until you serve dinner.  The chicken is already cooked so you are warming and melding all the ingredients together and cooking the onion.  This is a good recipe for errand day!

We like to serve this with a dollop of sour cream on the top in our bowl.  Enjoy :)