Translate

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lentil Soup

I have spent a few days thinking... Sometimes it's really good when you are in a period of life with lots of change  to take the time to reflect inward.  I have been doing that a lot lately and I can feel and see the growth within and it has made me a stronger person.  I embrace the changes along with life's challenges for they make me who I am.  I apologize once again for not posting daily but this will have to be the last time I apologize.  I'm afraid I will be constantly apologizing if not :) I have decided that yes, it is my goal to make daily post's but I am not going to stress about it.  I will post as often as I can and that will be just fine.  I would still like to try and post daily but have accepted that especially on weekends this just isn't always possible.  Life just works out that way :)


We visited a new pumpkin patch this year and I don't believe they used a lot of chemicals in their patch.  I say this because there were a lot of grass and weeds around but also these beautiful morning glories growing amongst the pumpkins.  I really enjoyed them.  Many of the pumpkins were green but we did manage to find some beautiful pumpkins that were ripe to bring home.  We had a lot of rain earlier in the season so they may not have been able to plant soon enough.  Their location was wonderful with a gorgeous farmstead and so many large old trees.  Very picturesque!


This delicious soup was our dinner tonight.  This is just as I combined the ingredients in the pot.  I really loved all the colors of the celery, potatoes, tomato, carrots, rosemary and lentils.  Very tasty and flavorful.  It is cool and fall is here so soups just hit the spot.  I feel very nestled and cozy baking and simmering soups on the stove when it turns cold outside. For me the most wonderful things about soups and stews and any recipe with large amounts is that I have plenty to share!

I have been steadily working on the circle jean quilt mentioned previously here, but progress is slow and not enough to notice in a photo so I will not post one :)  However, I am hoping that enough progress will be made this week to make a noticeable difference next week!  I am very excited to finish this quilt and put it to use in our home.  It's not as labor intensive as a traditional quilt.  Aside from hand cutting the circles, it is all machine sewn.

A second friend will be sewing and quilting with me during the week.  I love sharing my joy of sewing and quilting and I am so happy that we will get to spend time together.  I look forward to helping her each week progress on the quilt she is starting.  I am so thankful for my friends.  They are so wonderful and I am truly blessed to have each and every one of them in my life.

Lentil Soup:

1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/4 c. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1 lb. dried lentils
8c.water
3 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 med. potatoes, peeled, cubed
2 c. tomatoes, chopped
1 ten inch. stalk rosemary rinsed, bruised
sea salt

Sort and soak lentils overnight then drain off water and wash well.  Finely chop vegetables.  In a soup pot saute onion with the olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium, until lightly browned.  Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute.  Add lentils, chopped vegetables, rosemary and water to pot.  Bring to a boil then turn heat down to simmer until lentils are soft, around 1-1 1/2 hrs.   You might need to add more water during cooking.  When lentils are soft, season with sea salt to taste.  Enjoy

No comments: