Translate

Monday, December 27, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

When it is cold outside, one of the things that I like to make that is simple to prepare and easy to reheat is Red Beans and Rice.  I wanted to share with you a tutorial on how to make this quick and easy meal for those that are just learning to cook or those that are looking for a delicious simple meal for their family.  It is very economical to prepare as well!

First I measure out a couple of cups of dried red kidney beans, then I sort through and remove any broken beans and bean shells from the pot.


Soak the beans overnight and drain and rinse well in the morning.  Isn't the color beautiful!


Fill the pan most of the way up with water.  I add a chopped onion, 1Tbsp. of minced garlic, and course ground salt about a Tbsp. of that as well.  I also add several teaspoons of Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning.





Cover pot and bring to a boil.  I boil the beans for a couple of hours on low heat.  About an hour before I am ready to serve the beans I add a link of Kielbasa or Polish Sausage.  I make a pan of either brown or white rice and place this in individual bowls with a ladle full of beans on top.  It is delicious and simple!  A perfect cold weather meal.

No comments: