Translate

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Crepes

Some days are destined to be the sort of day spent resting and relaxing.  From the moment you open your eyes you can just sense it.  Today was one of those days.  It felt really good to just relax and enjoy the day.   

On Sunday mornings I  usually spend time sewing with a friend.  It is a special time chatting and catching up from the week.  This Sunday however, she was unable to visit so I spent some time quietly cutting out denim circles for the quilt I'm working on.  The pile is steadily growing. Soon I will start sewing them together.  I'm excited to get the quilt to that point.

When everyone had awoke I decided it was a good morning to make a big batch of crepes.   The children have friends over this weekend so I had lots of hungry tummy's to feed. 


We all enjoyed Peach Crepes with a dollop of whip cream on the top.  They were delicious!  Don't be intimidated to give them a try, crepes are every bit as easy to make as pancakes. The batter is much thinner and pours easily.  I prefer mine in butter which when left a light bit longer in the pan has a nice buttery crunch on the edges.  They are just excellent!  I have included the recipe below for you to try.  You can use any filling you choose inside.  I usually use either peaches or bananas.  Whichever I have on hand works just fine.  I hope you too are enjoying a nice relaxing Sunday!

Crepes:

1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1c. milk
2 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Beat eggs together in a bowl using a whisk, add milk and whisk together.  Add flour slowly working in with whisk, then add sugar.  After mixed together add vanilla and salt.  Batter will be thin and runny.  In a hot skillet melt several pats of butter.  Pour batter into skillet.  Cook for 2-3 min on each side until set.  I choose to slightly brown mine for a nice buttery crunch.

Filling:
Melt 3-4TBSP of butter in a pan, cut up banana slices (or peaches) into the pan and allow to saute' for a while.  Add in 1/3 c. brown sugar.  This will heat up together and start to caramelize.  Lower heat to warm and use a small spoon full of topping in a line in the middle of the crepe.  Fold crepe over filling and roll up.  Place seam side down on serving plate and put a dollop of whip cream on the top. Yields 5-6 servings.  Enjoy!

No comments: