Translate

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Hidden Lily Pond

I want to take a moment and send a special welcome to those visitors that have been stopping by and reading each day.  I have noticed that there are more readers each day and I am so glad that you are here.  You are welcome to join my blog and say hello.  I love hearing from you, and reading the comments you leave.  I also enjoy visiting your blogs as well when you join.  Thank you so much for stopping by.

While traveling to the North part of the state today on a road I seldom travel.. I happened upon this gorgeous surprise!  I had forgotten about this Lily pond because we started taking a different route and haven't passed by here for several years.  I had to stop and my oldest daughter accompanied me as we walked back to take a picture in all its glory.  It is one of three on the entire drive that have wild Lily's growing in them this being by far the most stunning!
We postponed hauling gravel today until I could do more prep work under the tree.  I would like to dig out a bit of dirt from the roots and bare spots and use it as fill in a new flower bed first, then put gravel in that spot.  I will try to remember to post a picture of the area so you can visually see what on earth I'm talking about.
 I am making plans for a late garden.  Here the corn is up, and many plants are in bloom and I am talking about planting... crazy to some I know but I figure I can at least try and if it doesn't work fine, and if it does well I have produce!  There are several things I can plant this fall and all through the summer that are continuous seed so I should have something to show for it.  Tomorrow evening I will learn from my husband how to run the tiller and I will make a go of it.  I have decided that I will try and run this garden solo.  Yes I will ask for help when I need it and volunteers are always welcome...but if I put it in my head that I am solely responsible for maintaining and actually getting food from this garden then I will be more diligent about maintaining it.  I would like to start some compost bins as well but I'm going to work on one thing at a time.  Previously we have had a regular row garden but fight weeds and everything else constantly.  I think this year I will try putting in a couple of raised beds and gravel paths and see how it goes.  We have crabgrass so badly here it is almost impossible to keep it at bay and I think raised beds will help.  The gravel sounds bad but honestly if I can't make a go of this whole garden thing in the next few seasons I'm thinking about digging up the yard for a pool!  Yes, I'm fairly serious about it at least we will get some enjoyment from that space if we can't grow food!  So now you know why gravel doesn't bother me :)  Have a wonderful day!

No comments: