Translate

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Basic White Bread

Happy 12-12-12!!!  For the last time you will ever be able to use the same number for the month, day, and year it has been a good day and for that matter a wonderful year.

I have had consistent results with the bread I have been making so I am going to share the recipe with you.
It works well for sandwiches and toast which are both requirements in this house :)  As you can see I bake the bread in either a glass loaf pan or a stoneware pan.  I have only made this in my stand mixer as kneading is very difficult on my hands.

Basic  White Bread

2 pkg. active dry yeast
1c. warm water
1 c. milk
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. butter
7-8 c. all purpose flour
Egg Glaze (optional) 1 egg white beaten with 1 Tbsp water

Sprinkle yeast into warm water.  Let stand until dissolved.  Heat milk. Pour into a large mixing bowl containing sugar, salt and butter.  Cool to lukewarm.  Stir in dissolved yeast.  Add 3-4 c. flour into bowl and mix until flour is worked into mixture, add the remaining flour until dough is smooth and no longer sticky about  4-5 min.  Place in a greased bowl covered with a towel in a warm place for 1 1/2 hrs. until doubled in size.  Punch dough down and knead lightly with hands to work out air bubbles.  Divide dough in half and place in greased bread pans.  Allow to rise covered again for 45 min .  Place in a pre heated oven at 375 degrees F.  for 30-35 min. or until brown and loaves sound hollow when thumped.
*if using  egg glaze glaze loaves before baking
*I rub butter on my loaves when I remove them from the oven and do not use glaze when baking.  For all grease in the recipe I instead use butter.

I hope these turn out as good for you as they do for our family.  They are delicious :)

No comments: